Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Dispelling The Myth About Rainbows

My Children,

Tis your Creator and maker of everything, God. Back on Blogger for a moment or two. Since there's been a good bit of rain in the United States as of late, I've been getting some questions about those beautiful appraritions that appear in the sky during a good sun shower.

Yes, my lambs, I'm talking about rainbows.

The science-types in the world will be quick to tell thee that it is merely light reflecting through the water and creating a prism effect in the sky. And you know what? They're absolutely right.

I've heard prayers from children of all ages as well as adults (who should know better), thanking me for another sign of 'My promise.' Sometimes I forget what it is they refer to. Then I remember:

The whole Noah's Ark thing. Right.


God (me): Sorry about the flooding and such. Here's a rainbow.
Noah: That's okay, God. I don't mind so much.

Let me dispel this myth right now. Never did I flood the Earth to make all of ye suffer. Granted, the rain can get out of hand from time to time, but it's still part of My over all plan. But I have never thought to Myself:

"I really hate the creations I've created. The people, the animals, and even the wee insects were a big mistake. I think I shalt flood the world and rid the world of them."

That's just not My way, people.

It doesn't make sense. If it were true, and broken down, is my outline of events and expectations.

  1. I'll only pick one man and his wife to save. We'll call them Noah and his wife Naamah for the sake of arguement.
  2. I'll make it the Noah family's duty to scour the world for a male and female of every animal. This includes insects, plants, and other creatures that cannot thrive underwater for long periods of time.
  3. As if they weren't busy enough collecting species for the largest zoo in the history of thy world, I'll have them build a boat (or an Ark) to contain all of them.
  4. This is assuming they can find the tens and tens of thousand creatures I've created.
  5. This is assuming Noah and Naamah know how to build a boat.
  6. This is assuming they can make the thing sea worthy enough to contain all of the thousands of creatures.
  7. This is assuming all of the animals can co-habitate in this giant-sized ark.
  8. Also, no one else is willing to help Noah & Co. with the construction of the Ark.
  9. They'll have enough food to last for the weeklong flood on board.
  10. I'll expect the remaining creatures (including Noah and Naamah) to repopulate the world, assuming they've survived the cramped and ludicrous journey across the floods.
  11. I'll make the corpses of the non-believers and other innocent animals slaughtered in My vengeful act of revenge magically disappear.
  12. To make up for it, I'll throw a rainbow up in the sky as my way of saying. 'Sorry. Won't happen again.'

This, My children is why I don't hold much good will toward the bible and some of the stories contained therein. They've painted an unfair picture of Me. If I am truly the all-knowing, all-seeing and all-loving God...why would I feel the need to punish My creations?

Would I not have to power to demonstrate My might in a less destructive fashion? I would.

Am I that angry of a creator that I'll resort to knee-jerk tactics to bend My followers to My will? I am not.

Take the story of Noah, his Ark and animals for what it truly is: a story. The rainbow? It is merely a miracle of science that I take some pride in creating.

God out.

2 Comments:

Blogger morgan said...

Why, then, are there so many songs about rainbows?

5:49 PM  
Blogger Spo said...

I gotta admit God - I saw through the Noahs ark charade from an early age when the catholic teacher in sunday school couldn't explain how it was the animals didn't eat each other once Noah went to bed or why it was that otters got away with it.

Now I see you didn't buy into it either and it's been a bit of chinese whispher that got out of hand.

I embrace thee as my lord once again!

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home